For those lucky enough to live in a state where the temperature and weather are fairly consistent all year round, will not understand why having ventilated seats is not a luxury but a necessity. Especially if you live in a state like Florida, Texas, Hawaii, and Louisiana….then you understand how unbearable the summer heat can be. Add that in with a hot car and even hotter seats and well, you have a lot of very unhappy people.
If you are thinking of buying the all-new 2020 GMC Sierra and are wondering if they offer ventilated seats then just know that your question is one hundred percent valid. So does the GMC Sierra offer cooled seats?
Let’s find out?
Does the all-new 2020 GMC Sierra offer Cooled Seats?
Yes. Yes, the all-new 2020 GMC Sierra does offer ventilated seats. In fact, even more, good news: the 2020 GMC Sierra also offers heated seats. And yes there is a difference…in fact, some people assume that ventilated seats and heated seats are one and the same but that is not true.
A Quick Look: How Do Ventilated Seats Actually Work?
For most people, they do not care to know how stuff actually works. All they need to know is that it works but there are others who want to know all the details and we understand both viewpoints. For most people, the fact that their cars have ventilated seats is enough for them but if you have ever wondered…how do these ventilated seats actually work? Then we have got you covered; let’s find out!
For starters, ventilated seats (oftentimes called “cooled seats” or “air-conditioned seats” work by confining cooled air exactly in the seat where the passengers are seated. Of course, different truck manufacturers will achieve this method in different ways. Afterall each car manufacturer is different and they all work with different teams of engineers. However, there are some of the most common methods:
- Cooled seats are made with more porous materials (more breathable material) than traditional car seats, this allows air to flow through them more easily.
- Because the porous material of the car seat allows air to flow through them more easily, this will allow your body to “breathe” which in turn will make it feel cooler.
- There are many fans that are placed within the seat to provide the best air circulation for you and your passengers.
- The air from these fans then flows through a diffusion layer in order to spread the cool air throughout the seat material which in turn, will cool the entire surface.
- The cool air from these fans also helps carry the heat from the surface of your body away rather than trapping as traditional car seats would do.
Also here is some great news concerning cooled seats: these seats use energy to cool the passenger’s seatings. So that means that they are more efficient than traditional car air conditioning. This means that it will improve the car’s fuel-efficient and in turn, reduce its emissions.
So while it is tempting to turn on your air conditioning during the hot summer weather, know that if you have cooled seats then chances are, you might not need to. Usually, cooling seats are enough and it is great to know that you will not need to run your air conditioning all day and night which in turn, will have its disadvantages as well.
If you are curious as to how heated seats work…then we have got you covered.
Heated seats, on the other hand, use the same technology as electric blankets or basically any other appliances that use electricity to generate heat. A long strip of a heating element runs through the material of the car seat. This heating element is called a resistor and it heats up when an electrical current runs through it.
However, some people can see the problem with this already. This is because the way these heated seats were designed, the longer the seat warmer is left on, then the hotter the seat will get. It will get so hot to the point where it is uncomfortable. This is why most cars that have heated seats also come with a thermostat which will allow the driver to set the level of heat that the vehicle seat can reach.
This is especially important if you have younger children sitting in the car for long periods or even pets. Their temperature differences and what they can handle differs drastically from that of adults so to have this option will give a lot of drivers the peace of mind they need when driving with young children or pets.
Most manufacturers will rarely offer one option and not the other. So if the car you are looking into offers heated seats then you can rest assured that the car probably has cooled seats available as well.
All About the 2020 GMC Sierra
Now that you know that the all-new 2020 GMC Sierra does offer ventilated seats, we wanted to highlight some of the other great additions and features that you can expect from the 2020 GMC Sierra.
- The all-new 2020 GMC Sierra can seat three people comfortably in its regular cab models and up to five or six people in its double and crew cable models. This really depends on whether you choose to go for the front-row bucket seats are not.
- The all-new 2020 GMC Sierra comes standard with cloth upholstery. Some people are a fan of cloth upholstery because they are easier to maintain and they do not get as hot in the hotter seasons. However, if you are not, then the all-new 2020 GMC Sierra might not be the car for you.
- The all-new 2020 GMC Sierra also comes with a rear-seat reminder that comes in models with rear seats.
- The all-new 2020 GMC Sierra also has leather upholstery, as well as power-adjustable front seats.
- As mentioned above, the all-new 2020 GMC Sierra does come with heated and ventilated front seats. However, the ventilated seats are only for the front seats but rear-seat passengers do not be too disappointed. The all-new 2020 GMC Sierra does offer heated rear seats.
- If you live in a state where the winter months are brutal, then you should consider that the all-new 2020 GMC Sierra also offers a heated steering wheel.
In Conclusion | Cooled Seats: A Luxury or a Necessity?
For some car buyers ventilated seats are nothing more than a luxury and we do understand that concept. In fact, it is very rare for an entry-level trim level or a base model to offer a ventilated seat.
If it is not offered in a base model then that should tell you that it is more of a luxury. However, if you live in states where the summer is unbearable then you will see ventilated seats as necessary and not just a luxury which we also understand as well.
Either way, whether it is a necessary addition or simply a luxurious addition we can all admit that having cooled seats in the summer is a good feeling.