What Truck has the Highest Towing Capacity?
Unless you are a truck owner, you might not understand the importance of towing capacity. Most people think trucks are powerful vehicles that people buy in order to intimate other drivers on the road but that is not always the case. Some people like the look of powerful vehicles and that is fine too, but there are reasons why towing capacity is so important to truck drivers.
If you are looking for the truck with the highest towing capacity then we have got you covered. However, if you are interested in exploring a list of trucks with high towing capacity, then we have also got you covered. After all, when it comes to buying a truck, the more options to explore the better right? Okay enough chatting, let’s get started.
Pickup Truck Towing | What You Need to Know
Before we dive into the top best trucks for towing, it is important to keep these things in mind:
- How much your truck can tow depends heavily on how much your truck weighs. If you need maximum towing capacity, then you should not opt for a midsize pickup truck. Even if the midsize pickup truck has great ratings for its towing capacity, do know that its towing capacity is being compared to other midsize pickup trucks and not full-size trucks.
- Make sure that you have space: If you want a full size/standard pickup truck but are not able to find space for it in your driveway, then you should consider a smaller truck. If you want a truck, then you need to have space for that truck.
- Here is an easy way to remember your truck’s maximum towing rate: you hate your truck’s GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating) and minus the weight of your truck plus the weight of any passengers and cargo.
- If you plan on buying additional features, do keep in mind that the extra weight from these adds on will reduce the amount of weight your truck can tow. The same is true if you plan on hosting a lot of passengers or luggage as well.
- Lastly, it is important to note that your truck will require a commercial license if you plan on towing anything above 26,000 pounds in the United States. This might sound like a hassle but it is implemented for safety reasons. So if your truck and trailer together weigh more than 26,000 pounds then you will need to have a Class A commercial driver’s license in order to drive it.
- The above rule applies to citizens of the United States. Be sure to check the rules and regulations of your country/nation first to see if the same or similar rules apply.
Top Best Trucks for Towing Capacity
● 2020 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty
- Can tow up to 35,500 lbs
- The 2020 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty is first on our list and it is for good reason.
- The 2020 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty comes equipped with a 6.7 L Cummins Diesel inline-six engine that yields 400 HP and 1,000 ln-ft or torque.
- The 2020 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty with added dual rear wheels can tow up to 35,100 lbs.
- However, do keep in mind that the diesel is an extra $11,795 more than the base gas of the V-8. If you want that extra 1,000 lb-ft then you will need to get the high-torque version of the six-speed automatic transmission over the new eight-speed version.
● 2020 Chevrolet Silverado
- Can tow up to 35,500 lbs
- The Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD is a great choice if you are looking for a truck that tows in the fifth wheel or gooseneck.
- The Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD comes equipped with a 6.6 L Duramax diesel V-8 engine that can tow up to 35,500 pounds.
● 2020 Ford F-450 Super Duty
- Can tow up to 37,000 lbs
- Next on our list, we have the 2020 Ford F-450 Super Duty. The 2020 Ford F-450 Super Duty is updated and better than ever.
- The 2020 Ford F-450 Super Duty comes equipped with a 6.7 L Power Stroke diesel V8 engine that yields 1,050 lb-ft of torque. Impressed? We thought so.
● 2020 Chevrolet Silverado/ GMC Sierra 2500 HD
- Can tow up to 18, 500 lbs
- Next on our list, we combine the great Chevy Silverado 2500 HD and the GMC Sierra 3500.
- The Chevy Silverado 2500 HD is not the biggest truck on the market but it still delivers and the same can be said for the GMC Sierra 3500.
- The Chevy Silverado 2500 HD is not known for its six-speed automatic so we would recommend a stronger engine.
- If you were stuck between the Chevy Silverado 2500 HD and the GMC Sierra 3500 then it comes down to stylistic details because both trucks are pretty great for their size.
● 2020 Ford F-250 Super Duty
- Can tow up to 20, 200 lbs
- We now move onto the 2020 Ford F-250 Super Duty. The 2020 Ford F-250 Super Duty is great because it is available in various beds and can configurations.
- You can have your choice of the 2020 Ford F-250 Super Duty with a 6.2 L V9 engine or the 7.3 L V8 engine which yields 430 HP and 475 lb-ft of torque. These are just a few options too!
- The Stroke diesel option is available in the 350 and the 450 but at a costly price, $10,495.
- However, do not fear if you think the ten grand extra is too much. When the 2020 Ford F-250 Super Duty is properly equipped, it can tow up to 20,000 lbs.
● 2020 Ram 1500
- The 2020 Ram 1500 earns its spot on this list. The 2019 Ram 1500 was a best seller and crowd favorite and its predecessor does not disappoint.
- What makes the 2020 Ram 1500 so great is the fact that it offers an unmatched ride quality with a cozy interior and quiet cabin.
- The 2020 Ram 1500 also comes with options: you can opt for the 3.6 L Pentastar V6 engine which yields 305 HP and 269 lb-ft of torque, the 5.7 L Hemi V8 engines both of which yield 395 HP and 410 ft-lb of torque, or the updated Ram’s 3.0 L EcoDiesel V6 engine which yields 260 HP and 480 lb-ft of torque.
● 2020 Ford F-150
- Can tow up to: 13,200 lbs
- The 2020 Ford F-150 is American’s best-selling pickup truck and it is for good reason. The 2020 Ford F-150 is known for how versatile and dependable it is.
- The 2020 Ford F-150 comes with an array of options for its engine, including a 3.3 L V6 engine yielding 290 HP and 265 lb-ft of torque, two turbocharged EcoBoost V6 2.7 L engines yielding 325 HP and 400 lb-ft of torque, and a 3.5 L V8 engine yielding 375 HP and 470 lb-ft of torque, a 5.0 L V8 engine yielding 395 HP and 400 lb-ft of torque, a 3.0 L Power Stroke diesel V6 engine yielding 250 Hp and 440 lb-ft of torque, and lastly the 2020 Ford F-150 also comes with the 3.5 L EcoBoost engine that yields 450 HP and 510 lb-ft of torque.
● 2020 Chevrolet Silverado
- Can tow up to 12, 100 lbs
- The 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 is up there among some of the best half-ton trucks on the market.
- The 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 comes with great engine options: a base 4.3 L V6 engine that yields 285 HP and 305 lb-ft of torque, a 5.3 L V8 engine that yields 355 HP and 383 lb-ft, a 2.7 L turbocharged four-cylinder 310 HP and 348 lb-ft of torque, a 6.2 L V8 engine that yields 420 HP and 460 lb-ft of torque, and lastly, a 3.0 L Duramax diesel inline-six engine that yields 277 Hp and 460 lb-ft of torque.
● 2020 Ford Ranger
- Can tow up to 7,500 lbs
- The 2020 Ford Ranger is the second to last on our list!
- The Ford Ranger comes equipped with a 2.3 L EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder engine that can tow up to 7,500 lbs.
● 2020 Chevrolet Colorado
- Can tow up to 7,700 lbs
- Last on our list is the 2020 Chevrolet Colorado which comes in a base 2.5 L inline-four engine yielding 200 HP and 191 lb-ft of torque.
- Buyers can also upgrade to two different engine options: the 3.6 L V6 engine which yields 308 HP and 275 lb-ft of torque or the 2.8 L turbodiesel engine that yields 186 HP and 369 lb-ft of torque.
We hope that this list gave you some good ideas whether they were trucks that were on your radar or new ones that you might not have considered before.
Please keep in mind these are the 2020 models; therefore, older models might have different statistics and different ratings. For older models and ratings, please check their statistics and ratings online or talk to contact your local car dealership.