Acura MDX Years to Avoid, Best Years, and Most Reliable Years [Comprehensive Guide]
Are you considering a used Acura MDX SUV? Learn which years to avoid and which are the most reliable and best to buy in this comprehensive guide. Discover the top-rated Acura MDX models and make an informed decision on your next vehicle purchase.
The Acura MDX has many great features to offer. This car is reliable and perfect for your large family. It offers great performance and a smooth ride. Some popular years include 2007, 2013, 2016, and 2019. These have been highly rated for comfort, value, and desirable features.
If you are looking for into buying an Acura MDX SUV (especially a used one), you’ll want to keep reading for some of the greatest used Acura MDX SUV years.
2007 Acura MDX: An All Wheel Drive Crossover SUV
The 2007 Acura MDX is a great v6 engine car that comes with all-wheel drive capabilities. This car is great for a large family with plenty of kids. It can be used to get groceries or drive around town. The Acura offers a great interior that can fit up to seven people in the car. This solid ride is roomy, large, and has great safety scores. It is reasonably priced with good gas mileage. This practical car has great seats, good performance, and it is overall great for drivers with kids.
The car has a stylish interior design with plenty of features. The 2007 Acura has a good sound system, a DVD player, an mp3 player and Bluetooth for your phone. The car also has a navigation system and an auxiliary plug-in.
It offers climate control, traction control, and six airbags. This car is safe, reliable, and makes a smooth drive. The car is great for a comfortable ride on the freeway or on long road trips.
The passengers and the driver have plenty of room in the car. This roomy car has space in the back seats and you can put the back seats down for extra cargo room. The three-row seating is great for a trip with all your friends.
The car offers space for someone who is over six feet and provides a grand total of 10 cupholders for your large group of people. The backup camera comes in handy and there are cool front seats. This car has powerful acceleration and great finishing touches as well. The Acura MDX has leather seats and a woodlike trim for style. It is priced well and has excellent performance.
One great thing about the Acura MDX is that there are hardly any issues with the car. The car performs very well in storms and any other rough weather conditions. This stylish car drives great even with lots of miles on the car. It does not break down easily, making it such a reliable car. One owner said that the car still runs just like the day she got it after years of having it.
If you keep the car maintained, it will do great. If you are looking for a car, this 2007 Acura is great for a big family or road trip.
2013 Acura MDX Model Year: Three Rows of Comfort and Safety
The 2013 Acura MDX has plenty of space and is a great car for long trips. This car comfortably fits seven people and has three rows of seating. There is plenty of legroom in the car and cargo space. The second and third rows can fold for extra room. This is a great family car with a smooth drive. It is the perfect size car and a great ride.
The 2013 Acura MDX offers plenty of interior features. The car has a navigation system and fox lights. There is a radio, an auxiliary outlet, Bluetooth, and a USB port. There are child door locks, making the car excellent for small children. This 2013 Acura has 10 cupholders, great lighting, and leather seats.
The car has airbags, traction control, a blindspot alert, and a collision warning system. The Acura MDX also has sharp steering and smooth riding. This v6 car can easily get around tight corners and has a great outside look. It has a nice trim, engine choices, a great size, and lots of power.
The car has a fantastic safety rating and runs like it is brand new even after a few years. It rarely shows signs of aging if you keep up with the maintenance on it. This 2013 Acura is listed at a great value with great design, a GPS, and temperature control. The temperature control allows you to adjust the temperature based on the sun inside the car.
While you are parking, the mirrors can fold downwards. The car can even come with a sunroof. This smooth-riding car can meet everyone’s needs. It is great for any driver and comes in plenty of colors. The car also runs excellent in the snow and all weather conditions. This car is great because it has just about every feature you may need.
2016 Acura MDX: New Safety Features Added
The 2016 Acura MDX has a powerful engine and uses gas efficiently. This car has plenty of space and can seat seven people. This car has a great interior. It car offers conferrable seating and can hold an entire family in the car. It has excellent safety ratings, it comes with a rearview camera, parking sensors, blindspot monitoring cruise control, and forward-collision warning.
The well-designed interior has generous passenger space and plenty of space in the back seat. This safe vehicle offers leathered seated, heated seats, and climate control. It has an eight-speaker audio system and a seven-inch touchscreen. The car also has a few USB ports and Bluetooth is simple to use. The navigation is helpful and easy to set up.
The Acura MDX is great because it has quick acceleration and the transmission shifts quickly. It comes with front-wheel drive, but an all-wheel drive is an option as well. The Acura MDX can tow up to 3,500 pounds. The car is leather, has soft-touch surfaces, and an expensive feel to it. The seats are of great quality and the car has good gas mileage for the size of the car.
This is a modern design and a large vehicle, safe vehicle. The car has plenty of speed even when there is a lot of people seated. If you are looking for a safe and reliable car, this may be the car for you. You cannot go wrong with a 2016 Acura MDX. It has plenty of features and designs to offer.
2019 Acura MDX: Why It’s a Good Used Vehicle to Buy
The Acura MDX has long been considered one of the best luxury crossover SUVs on the market, and the 2019 model year is no exception. Here are some reasons why the 2019 Acura MDX is a good used vehicle to buy:
- Reliable and Safe: The 2019 Acura MDX is a reliable and safe vehicle, with a range of advanced safety features. This model year comes standard with forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, and lane departure warning. The vehicle also scored high marks in safety tests, receiving a five-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Adaptive Cruise Control: The 2019 Acura MDX comes equipped with adaptive cruise control, which helps maintain a safe following distance and can adjust the vehicle’s speed based on traffic conditions. This feature is especially useful for long trips or when driving in heavy traffic.
- Braking System: The braking system on the 2019 Acura MDX is also noteworthy. The vehicle comes standard with an anti-lock braking system, electronic brake-force distribution, and brake assist. The brakes provide excellent stopping power and help the vehicle maintain control in emergency situations.
- Good Fuel Economy: The 2019 Acura MDX is also known for its good fuel economy, with an EPA-estimated 22 mpg in combined city/highway driving. This is thanks in part to the vehicle’s smooth-shifting nine-speed automatic transmission, which provides a comfortable driving experience.
- Best Acura to Buy Used: The 2019 Acura MDX has been hailed by many as the best Acura to buy used. It offers a great combination of luxury, reliability, and performance, making it an excellent value for anyone looking for a high-end crossover SUV.
Overall, the 2019 Acura MDX is a reliable, safe, and luxurious crossover SUV that offers a comfortable driving experience, good fuel economy, and a range of advanced features. If you are in the market for a used luxury SUV, the 2019 Acura MDX is definitely worth considering.
2022 Acura MDX: A Good Choice, but Too Early to Determine Its Reliability
The 2022 Acura MDX is one of the best luxury crossover SUVs on the market, offering a range of advanced features and a powerful V6 engine. However, it’s still too early to determine just how reliable this vehicle will be. Here are some reasons why the 2022 Acura MDX is a good choice, despite the uncertainty surrounding its long-term reliability.
- Powerful V6 Engine: The 2022 Acura MDX is equipped with a V6 engine that produces 290 horsepower and 267 lb-ft of torque. This engine is powerful enough to provide a smooth and comfortable ride, even when the vehicle is fully loaded with passengers and cargo.
- Advanced Safety Features: Like all models of the Acura MDX, the 2022 version comes with a range of advanced safety features that make it one of the safest SUVs on the market. These features include forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and more.
- Spacious Interior: The 2022 Acura MDX’s biggest draw is its spacious interior, with seating for up to seven passengers and plenty of room for cargo. The vehicle also comes with a range of high-end features, such as a panoramic sunroof, leather upholstery, and a premium sound system.
- Stylish Design: The 2022 Acura MDX features a bold and stylish design that is sure to turn heads. The vehicle’s sleek lines and distinctive front grille give it a modern and sophisticated look that is sure to appeal to drivers who want a luxury crossover SUV that looks as good as it drives.
While the 2022 Acura MDX is an impressive vehicle that offers a range of advanced features and a powerful V6 engine, it’s important to note that it’s still too early to determine just how reliable it will be in the long term. With that said, if you’re in the market for a luxury crossover SUV and want the latest and greatest model, the 2022 Acura MDX is definitely worth considering. Just be sure to do your research and keep an eye on reliability ratings as they become available in the coming years.
Reliability: What Problems Does The Acura MDX Have?
The Acura MDX is generally a reliable and well-made SUV, but like any vehicle, it is not without its problems. Here are some of the most commonly reported issues with the Acura MDX:
- Transmission problems: Some owners of Acura MDX models from the early 2000s reported issues with the transmission slipping or failing altogether. More recent models have also had reported problems with transmission shuddering or jerking.
- Electrical issues: Some Acura MDX owners have experienced electrical problems with their vehicle, such as issues with the navigation system, radio, or dashboard display.
- Noisy suspension: Some owners have reported a clunking noise in the suspension system of their Acura MDX. This noise can be caused by worn-out shock absorbers or other suspension components.
- Brake issues: Some Acura MDX owners have experienced problems with the brakes, including premature wear and noise.
- Battery problems: Several Acura MDX owners have reported that the battery in their vehicle dies unexpectedly or loses its charge quickly.
It is worth noting that these problems are not universal, and many Acura MDX owners have reported no issues with their vehicles. However, if you are considering purchasing an Acura MDX, it is important to be aware of the potential issues and to have the vehicle thoroughly inspected before making a purchase. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent or catch any issues before they become major problems.
Is Purchasing a Used Acura MDX Worth It?
Purchasing a used Acura MDX can be a great value for many buyers, but there are several factors to consider before making a purchase.
One of the primary advantages of buying a used Acura MDX is the potential for cost savings. Used vehicles are generally less expensive than new models, and the Acura MDX is no exception. This means that buyers can often get a higher-end model with more features for a lower price than they would pay for a new vehicle.
Another advantage of buying a used Acura MDX is that many of the issues and recalls associated with the vehicle may have already been addressed by previous owners or by the manufacturer. This can save buyers the hassle of dealing with these problems themselves and can make a used Acura MDX a more reliable vehicle in the long run.
However, there are also some potential drawbacks to buying a used Acura MDX. For example, older models may not have the same level of technology or safety features as newer models, which can be a concern for some buyers. Additionally, used vehicles may have higher maintenance costs and may require more repairs than a new vehicle.
Before purchasing a used Acura MDX, it is important to do your research and carefully consider your budget and needs. It is also recommended to have the vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic to check for any issues or potential problems. With proper research and preparation, a used Acura MDX can be a great value and a reliable vehicle for many years to come.
4 Acura MDX Years To Avoid
While the Acura MDX is generally a reliable and well-made vehicle, there are some model years that have had more reported issues than others. Here are some Acura MDX model years that you may want to avoid:
- 2003 Acura MDX: This model year is known for having transmission problems, with many owners reporting slipping, jerking, or failing transmissions. Additionally, this model year was subject to a recall related to faulty airbags.
- 2004 Acura MDX: Like the 2003 model, the 2004 Acura MDX had transmission issues that could be costly to repair. This model year also had several recalls, including one related to issues with the power steering hose.
- 2010 Acura MDX: This model year had several reported issues with the transmission, including hesitation and shuddering during acceleration. Additionally, some owners reported problems with the power steering system and the air conditioning.
- 2014 Acura MDX: This model year had a recall related to the fuel system, which could result in a fuel leak or fire. Additionally, some owners reported issues with the infotainment system and transmission.
It’s important to note that not all vehicles from these model years will have problems, and there are many well-maintained Acura MDXs from these years that are still reliable today. However, if you are considering purchasing a used Acura MDX from one of these model years, it is important to have the vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic to check for any potential issues or recalls.
Why Choose a Used Acura MDX Instead of a New One?
While a new Acura MDX may seem like an attractive option, there are several compelling reasons to consider a used model instead.
- Depreciation: One of the main advantages of buying a used car is avoiding the steep depreciation that occurs in the first few years of ownership. With a used Acura MDX, you can get a vehicle that is only a few years old at a significant discount compared to a new one.
- Lower Cost: Used cars are generally less expensive than new cars, which means you can get a higher-end model for a lower price. This can allow you to get a more fully-featured Acura MDX than you would be able to afford new.
- Proven Reliability: By choosing a used Acura MDX with a proven track record of reliability, you can feel confident in your purchase. With years of data and reviews available, you can assess the durability and longevity of a specific model year before making a purchase.
- Lower Insurance Costs: Insurance premiums are generally lower for used cars than for new ones. This means you can save money on your car insurance premiums by choosing a used Acura MDX instead of a new one.
- More Options: When buying a used Acura MDX, you have a wider selection of model years and features to choose from. You may be able to find a specific color, trim level, or package that is no longer available on new models.
While there are some benefits to buying a new Acura MDX, a used model can offer a lot of value for the price. With careful research and attention to the vehicle’s history, you can find a reliable and well-equipped Acura MDX at a fraction of the cost of a new one.
Generational Evolution: Acura MDX Model Years and Generations Explained
There have been four generations of the Acura MDX since the model was introduced in 2001. Here are the model years for each generation:
- First Generation (2001-2006): The first generation Acura MDX was produced from 2001 to 2006. This model featured a 3.5-liter V6 engine and was available with either a five-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission.
- Second Generation (2007-2013): The second generation Acura MDX was produced from 2007 to 2013. This model featured a 3.7-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. The 2010 model year introduced a refreshed exterior design and improved fuel economy.
- Third Generation (2014-2021): The third generation Acura MDX was produced from 2014 to 2021. This model featured a 3.5-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. The 2017 model year introduced a refreshed exterior design and improved safety features.
- Fourth Generation (2022-Present): The fourth generation Acura MDX was introduced for the 2022 model year. This model features a new platform and design, with a 3.5-liter V6 engine and a ten-speed automatic transmission. The 2022 model also introduces new safety features and technology, including a digital gauge cluster and a 12.3-inch infotainment display.
Overall, the Acura MDX has remained a popular choice for those seeking a reliable, luxury mid-size SUV, and each generation has offered improvements in performance, safety, and technology.
The Most Reliable Years of the Acura MDX
If you’re looking for a used Acura MDX, reliability is likely a top concern. To help you make an informed decision, we’ve compiled a list of the most reliable model years based on data from reputable sources.
According to J.D. Power, the Acura MDX has consistently been one of the most reliable midsize luxury SUVs on the market. In fact, it has been named the “Most Dependable Midsize Premium SUV” for three consecutive years (2017-2019). Consumer Reports has also given the MDX high marks for reliability, with most model years receiving an above-average or average rating.
Here is a table showing the most reliable model years of the Acura MDX based on information from J.D. Power and Consumer Reports:
|Model Year||Reliability Rating (J.D. Power)||Overall Reliability (Consumer Reports)|
|2016||5 out of 5||Above average|
|2015||5 out of 5||Above average|
|2014||5 out of 5||Above average|
|2013||5 out of 5||Above average|
|2012||5 out of 5||Average|
It’s worth noting that other model years of the Acura MDX have also received high marks for reliability, but these years in particular stand out based on the data. As always, it’s important to conduct your own research and consider other factors such as vehicle condition and maintenance history when shopping for a used car.
Overall, the Acura MDX is a reliable midsize luxury SUV with a strong reputation for longevity and dependability. With proper care and maintenance, any of the model years listed above could be a solid choice for buyers in the market for a used Acura MDX.
Owner Feedback on Acura MDX
When considering a used Acura MDX, it’s important to look beyond expert reviews and ratings and consider feedback from actual owners. Here are some common themes and feedback from Acura MDX owners:
- Reliability: Many Acura MDX owners report that the vehicle is reliable and well-built. They appreciate its durability, low maintenance costs, and high-quality materials.
- Comfort and Convenience: Owners of the Acura MDX generally appreciate its spacious and comfortable interior, as well as its numerous convenience features such as power-adjustable seats, rearview camera, and infotainment system. Some owners also appreciate the vehicle’s smooth and quiet ride.
- Performance: Many Acura MDX owners report that the vehicle is powerful and responsive, thanks to its V6 engine and smooth-shifting transmission. They appreciate the vehicle’s handling and overall driving experience.
- Safety: Safety is a top concern for many car buyers, and Acura MDX owners generally report feeling safe and secure while driving the vehicle. The Acura MDX comes equipped with a range of safety features, including a collision mitigation braking system, adaptive cruise control, and lane keeping assist.
- Fuel Efficiency: While the Acura MDX is not the most fuel-efficient vehicle in its class, many owners are satisfied with its gas mileage. The vehicle’s fuel efficiency is rated at 19 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway, which is on par with other luxury crossover SUVs.
Overall, Acura MDX owners seem to be quite satisfied with their vehicles. While there are some issues and concerns reported by owners, the vast majority of feedback is positive. If you’re considering a used Acura MDX, it’s a good idea to read reviews and feedback from actual owners to get a sense of the vehicle’s strengths and weaknesses.
Pros and Cons of the Acura MDX
The Acura MDX is a popular luxury SUV that offers a range of features and benefits. However, as with any vehicle, there are both pros and cons to consider before making a purchase. In this section, we’ll examine the advantages and disadvantages of the Acura MDX.
- Roomy and Comfortable Interior: The Acura MDX offers a spacious and comfortable interior that is perfect for long drives or road trips. The vehicle’s seats are supportive and well-padded, and there is plenty of legroom and headroom in both the front and rear seats.
- Strong Performance: The Acura MDX is known for its strong performance, thanks to its powerful V6 engine and responsive handling. The vehicle is also equipped with features like all-wheel drive and adaptive suspension, which further enhance its handling and performance.
- Advanced Safety Features: The Acura MDX comes with a wide range of advanced safety features, including collision mitigation braking, adaptive cruise control, and lane departure warning. These features help to keep drivers and passengers safe on the road.
- High-Quality Materials: The Acura MDX is a luxury SUV, and as such, it is built with high-quality materials that give it a premium feel. The vehicle’s interior is filled with soft-touch materials and fine details that create an upscale environment.
- Poor Fuel Economy: One of the biggest drawbacks of the Acura MDX is its poor fuel economy. The vehicle only gets an estimated 20 miles per gallon in the city and 27 miles per gallon on the highway, which is below average for a luxury SUV.
- Infotainment System: The Acura MDX’s infotainment system can be difficult to use, and it is not as intuitive as some of its competitors. Additionally, the system is not as responsive as it could be, which can be frustrating for drivers.
- Third-Row Seating: While the Acura MDX does offer third-row seating, it is not as spacious as some other three-row SUVs. The third row is best suited for children or small adults, and taller passengers may find it uncomfortable.
- Price: The Acura MDX is a luxury SUV, and as such, it comes with a high price tag. The vehicle is more expensive than many of its competitors, which can be a downside for budget-conscious shoppers.
Overall, the Acura MDX offers a range of benefits that make it a popular choice among luxury SUV shoppers. However, it is important to consider the vehicle’s drawbacks as well, so you can make an informed decision about whether it is the right vehicle for you.
Acura MDX Packages and Trim Levels: Which One is Right for You?
The Acura MDX is a versatile and practical luxury crossover SUV that comes in various packages and trim levels. Each package offers unique features and options to enhance the vehicle’s performance, comfort, and convenience. Below is a rundown of the packages and trim levels available for the Acura MDX:
- Standard Package: The Acura MDX standard package comes with a plethora of features, including a power liftgate, tri-zone automatic climate control, adaptive cruise control, a 12-speaker sound system, a rearview camera, and a 7-inch touchscreen display.
- Technology Package: This package includes all the features in the standard package, plus a 10-speaker premium audio system, a larger 8-inch touchscreen display, a navigation system, blind-spot monitoring, and rear cross-traffic alert.
- A-Spec Package: This package adds a sporty touch to the Acura MDX with unique 20-inch alloy wheels, sport seats with Alcantara inserts, a sport-tuned suspension, and distinctive exterior styling.
- Advance Package: The Advance package comes with all the features in the Technology package, plus heated and ventilated front seats, second-row captain’s chairs, a surround-view camera system, and adaptive suspension dampers.
- Entertainment Package: This package includes all the features in the Advance package, plus a rear-seat entertainment system with a 9-inch screen, wireless headphones, and an HDMI input.
Each Acura MDX trim level comes with a standard 290-horsepower V6 engine, which is paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard, and all-wheel drive is available on all packages.
When choosing a package or trim level, it is important to consider your budget, driving needs, and preferences. The higher packages offer more advanced features and better driving dynamics, but they also come with a higher price tag.
Overall, the Acura MDX offers a range of packages and trim levels to suit different drivers’ needs and preferences, making it a versatile and customizable luxury crossover SUV.
Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair Costs
When it comes to owning a vehicle, one of the biggest expenses is often maintenance and repairs. The Acura MDX is a reliable vehicle, but like all cars, it requires regular maintenance and occasional repairs to keep it running smoothly. Here is a breakdown of the average costs for maintaining and repairing an Acura MDX.
Maintenance Costs: Regular maintenance tasks for the Acura MDX include oil changes, tire rotations, and brake pad replacements. These tasks are relatively inexpensive and should be done every 5,000-7,500 miles. A standard oil change for the Acura MDX costs around $50-$75, while a tire rotation costs around $20-$30. Brake pad replacement can cost anywhere from $150 to $400 depending on whether you replace just the pads or the entire brake system.
Other maintenance tasks, like air filter replacements and spark plug replacements, should be done every 30,000-60,000 miles. These tasks can cost between $50 and $200, depending on the specific parts used and the cost of labor.
Repair Costs: The Acura MDX is a well-built vehicle, but like all cars, it may require occasional repairs. Some common repairs for the Acura MDX include transmission repairs, suspension repairs, and electrical system repairs. The cost of these repairs can vary widely depending on the specific issue and the age of the vehicle.
Here are some estimated costs for common repairs for the Acura MDX:
- Transmission repair: $1,500-$3,500
- Suspension repair: $500-$1,500
- Electrical system repair: $200-$1,000
It’s important to note that these costs are only estimates, and the actual cost of repairs can vary widely based on the specific issue and the cost of labor in your area. Additionally, some Acura MDX models may be more prone to certain types of repairs than others, so it’s important to research your specific model to get a better idea of potential repair costs.
Overall, the Acura MDX is a reliable and well-built vehicle with relatively low maintenance and repair costs. By keeping up with regular maintenance tasks and addressing any issues as soon as they arise, you can keep your Acura MDX running smoothly for many years to come.
Similar Crossover SUVs to Consider Instead of the Acura MDX
While the Acura MDX is an impressive luxury crossover SUV, it’s always a good idea to explore other options before making a final purchasing decision. Here are some similar crossover SUVs to the Acura MDX that buyers might want to consider.
- Lexus RX: The Lexus RX is a luxury SUV that offers a comfortable and refined ride. It has a spacious interior, advanced safety features, and a range of high-tech amenities.
- Audi Q7: The Audi Q7 is another luxury SUV that offers a luxurious ride, with a range of advanced features and a high-quality interior. It has a powerful engine and is known for its agile handling.
- BMW X5: The BMW X5 is a luxury SUV that offers a sporty and engaging driving experience. It has a spacious and comfortable interior, as well as a range of advanced features.
- Volvo XC90: The Volvo XC90 is a luxury SUV that is known for its advanced safety features and spacious interior. It has a range of high-tech amenities and a comfortable ride.
- Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class: The Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class is a luxury SUV that offers a refined and comfortable ride, with a range of advanced features and a high-quality interior.
Comparison Table of 2022 Model Year Luxury SUV Competitors:
|SUV Model||Base Price||Engine||Horsepower||MPG (City/Highway)||Seating Capacity||Advanced Safety Features||Model Year Used for Comparison|
|Acura MDX||$47,200||3.5L V6||290 hp||19/26||7||Standard||2022|
|Lexus RX||$45,070||3.5L V6||295 hp||20/27||5||Standard||2022|
|Audi Q7||$55,845||2.0L 4-cylinder||248 hp||18/23||7||Standard||2021|
|BMW X5||$60,700||3.0L 6-cylinder||300 hp||21/26||5||Standard||2022|
|Volvo XC90||$49,995||2.0L 4-cylinder||250 hp||21/30||7||Standard||2022|
|Mercedes GLE||$54,750||2.0L 4-cylinder||255 hp||19/28||5||Standard||2022|
Once again, please keep in mind that these specifications and prices are subject to change depending on the specific model and trim level selected.