Can A Toyota Tacoma Pull A Travel Trailer?
Are you looking to get outdoors more and explore all that nature has to offer? Maybe you already have a camper or travel trailer and you are looking for a new tow rig that can also serve as a daily driver.
Regardless of why you are asking, if you want to know if a Toyota Tacoma can pull a travel trailer you have come to the right place.
So just how much can the all-new 2020 Toyota Tacoma pull? Can a Toyota Tacoma pull a travel trailer? Let’s find out!
Can a Toyota Tacoma pull a travel trailer?
So, can a Toyota Tacoma pull a travel trailer? As long as the weight of your travel trailer and gear stays under the Toyota Tacoma’s max tow rating of 6,800 lbs you should be able to pull a travel trailer with your Tacoma pickup truck.
The maximum amount the all-new 2020 Toyota Tacoma can tow is 6,800 lbs.
Now to get into the smaller details. Yes, the all-new Tooya Tamcoa has a towing capacity of 6,800 lbs but you will need to do a little more to get that.
If you are interested in what comes in the all-new Toyota Tacoma Towing Package, we have got you covered:
|All-New 2020 Toyota Tacoma Towing PackageAn engine oil coolerA class-IV towing hitch receiver130- AMP alternatorPower steering cooler4 and 7 pin connector with converterTrailer sway control (also known as TSC) 49Lastly, an ATF cooler (please note: this is not available on the manual transmission|
Okay, so now you know that the all-new 2020 Toyota Tacoma can pull a travel trailer understanding you must stay under 6,800 lbs with the V6 engine and the Toyota Towing Package. But some people may think, that is a lot of bells and whistles. What about in the general sense?
We understand your interest so here is what you will get if you do not opt for the highest towing capacity version.
- The 2020 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 L four-cylinder engine can tow up to 3,500 lbs and haul a payload of up to 1,685 lbs.
- The 2020 Toyota Tacoma 3.5 L V6 engine can tow up to 6,800 lbs and haul a payload of up to 1,4440 lbs.
If you are planning on towing though, then we suggest you opt for the V6 engine with the Toyota Towing Package. If not, then the 2.7 L four-cylinder engine will do the job. After all, it does have a towing capacity of 3,500 lbs so that is not too shabby in our opinion.
Lastly, we end with some important information and tidbits we feel you should know about the all-new 2020 Toyota Tacoma.
- Even though there is a maximum towing capacity, you must keep your travel trailer, you generally would want your total trailer weight to be about 50-55% of the truck’s maximum towing capacity.
- For example, the all-new 2020 Toyota Tacoma. Its travel trailer weight should not be any more than 3,400 lbs with 3,740 lbs being the max, with it fully loaded.
- If you choose to pull a travel trailer above that weight, then it could lead to insufficient power. This means it will cause your Toyota Tacoma to be quite difficult to maneuver especially if you are trying to merge into traffic or drive over a hill. This is because the trailer weight is too heavy for your Toyota Tacoma. This also holds for steeper roads.
The 2020 Toyota Tacoma | What you need to know
The all-new 2020 Toyota Tacoma is quite a great vehicle. It is a great midsize pickup truck that was built to give you the towing and hauling power that you are looking for. It also has a great sporty look that many drivers love.
The 2020 Toyota Tacoma also comes with options. There are two different engine options available. Do you want the 2020 Toyota Tacoma with the larger trailer or the 2020 Toyota Tacoma that is able to haul a heavy payload?
There is no wrong answer to this question, and it all depends on your preference. Here are some quick specs about the all-new 2020 Toyota Tacoma that we think you would be interested in:
- The 2020 Toyota Tacoma comes in two available engine options:
- The first being the 2.7 L DOHC four-cylinder engine that yields 159 horsepower as well as 180 pound-feet of torque.
- The second being the 4.0 L DOHC V6 engine that has 236 horsepower and yields 266 pound-feet of torque.
- The good news is that no matter what engine choice you decide to go with, they both come standard with VVT-i (variable valve timing with intelligence). Variable valve timing with intelligence gives the engine great flexibility all across the RPM range.
- If you chose the V6 engine option then you will be happy to know that it can be combined with either the six-speed manual transmission or the five-speed automatic transmission.
- If you choose the four-cylinder models then you can choose between the five-speed manual transmission or the four-speed automatic transmission.
- Toyota notes that its five-speed automatic transmission is well suited for towing.
Despite all of the 2020 Toyota Tacoma’s great aspects, we do need to mention that the fuel economy was a cause of concern for some buyers.
Of course, when it comes to trucks, most people do not buy them because they are fuel-efficient. So drivers do not expect their trucks to have the fuel economy of a hybrid or a smaller sedan.
However, the 2020 Toyota Tacoma’s fuel economy was quite low, even for truck standards. The V6 engine will give you 17 MPG in the city and the 21 MPG on the highway. When compared with another midsize truck such as the Ford F150, the Toyota Tacoma does fall short a bit.
The Ford F150 will give you 17 MPG in the city (same as the 2020 Toyota Tacoma); however, the Ford F150 will give you 23 MPG on the highway which is 2 MPG more than the 2020 Toyota Tacoma.
What kind of trailer can the all-new 2020 Toyota Tacoma tow?
If your travel trailer is on this list then rest assured that the 2020 Toyota Tacoma will be able to tow it with ease:
- Little Guy Meerkat
- Intech Luna Lite
- Retro RV 509
- Jayco 10Rk
- Happier Camper
- Roulotte Prolite Plus S
- Flagstaff E-Pro E12SRK
- TAXA Outdoors Cricket
Please note that just because your travel trailer is not on this list it does not mean that your Toyota Tacoma cannot tow it.
Please check the weight of your travel trailer to ensure that it will be safe for the Toyota Tacoma to pull it efficiently and safely.
In Conclusion: Is the Toyota Tacoma the right car for you?
The all-new, 2020 Toyota Tacoma is a great truck and the reviews support that. It has different engine options as well as a towing capacity of 6,500 maximum.
Keep in mind, this is the maximum limit the Toyota Tacoma can pull. You will need to buy the upgraded model and include the V6 Towing Package as well.
There are other trucks out there that have a higher towing capacity, but those powerful trucks can cost as much as $50,000. For the price you pay for the Toyota Tacoma, we think it is well worth the money.
As always, please tow with caution. It is very dangerous to tow a travel trailer or even a full-size trailer if you are not fully trained. If this is your first time pulling a travel trailer, then we suggest looking up videos online or reading articles from experienced users.