SUV tents are one of the best inventions when it comes to camping and many people are loving them. They are more affordable than renting and buying an enclosed camper or RV but they are also much more comfortable than traditional camping with a simple tent. In fact, if you have an SUV and you love camping then SUV tents were made for you!
If this is the first time you are hearing about them and are intriguing or if you have been hearing about them but are not sure how they work, then we have got you covered.
Let’s get started!
What is an SUV Tent?/How Does an SUV Tent Work?
SUV tents are quite straightforward and as the name implies, they are tents that attach to the back of your SUV.
There is a specific SUV tent called hatchback tents that is attached to the back of your SUV using restraining straps that fastens to the wheel wells and elastic band around the back of your SUV. Just think of these hatchback tents as an extension of your vehicle’s trunk space.
SUV tents are quite easy to set up because they are pretty straight forward. Even if it is your first time setting one up, do not worry because you will get the hang of it. If you feel uneasy about installing it for the first time, then there are plenty of videos and tutorials online that will be able to help you.
If you are more of a reader then there are also plenty of great articles that will walk you through the process, step by step as well.
Benefits of SUV Tents
SUV tents are a great investment because if you go camping often, then your SUV tent will definitely pay for itself. There are so many great benefits to owning an SUV tent, and here are a few:
● Cost Efficient/ Affordable
- SUV tents usually range from around $200.00 and up depending on the maker, size, and quality.
- Since they are quite affordable, to begin with, you can easily find a brand-new one that you like instead of shopping for a used one. In fact, some sellers sell SUV tents for as low as $150.00.
- Of course, some brands sell SUV tents for up to $300.00 but that does not always mean that it is better quality. However, that is up to you to decide.
- We would strongly recommend reading reviews on the products (the majority of sellers should allow customers to leave reviews) before you end up buying them. Of course, there will be some sponsored reviews or reviewers who got sent the product to try. This does not mean that their review is inaccurate or skewed in any way but it is something to take notice of.
- While sleeping in an SUV tent is not as comfortable as sleeping in a nice hotel bed, it sure does beat sleeping on the cold, uneven ground.
- In fact, a lot of people who own SUV tents say that they are quite comfortable. This is because SUV tents are typically made of breathable material and they come with screen windows which allows for great airflow.
- Also, sleeping in a nice hotel is great but so is sleeping under a sky full of stars. With the right SUV tent, you will not even miss those expensive hotel rooms.
- Even if you love sleeping at hotels there could be times when the area that your friends and family want to camp at is miles away from a hotel. Or if you found a campground but unfortunately, it is all booked.
- When you have an SUV tent, all of these worries go away. All you need to do is find a place where it is legal to park and set up camp for the night. You do not have to worry about hotel fees or if there will be enough space at the campground for your party.
- An SUV tent offers a lot of conveniences and when you are on the road for hours, having the flexibility to camp (almost) anywhere you want is a good feeling.
Best SUV Tent
As great as SUV tents are, you will want to take some time to find the right one. The right SUV tent can have camped under a star-filled sky feel almost magical but the wrong SUV tent on the other end can make you feel like you never want to camp again.
To help make sure that you fall into the first category and not the latter, we have compiled a list of some of the best SUV tents down below.
- First on our list is the Rightline Gear SUV Tent.
- The Rightline Gear SUV Tent is great because it attaches to your vehicle’s trunk and it uses an adjustable sleeve. The adjustable sleeve is great because you can use the additional cargo space for added gear storage.
- The Rightline Gear SUV Tent’s steel and fiberglass pole structure also gives it great strength to withstand harsh conditions such as strong winds.
- The Napier Outdoors Sportz SUV Family Tent is a great choice because like the name implies, it is great for families or bigger groups.
- The Napier Outdoors Sportz SUV Family Tent is big enough to fit six adults and it provides 7 (2.1 m) of headroom.
- This means that it is large enough to accommodate taller individuals.
- The Napier Outdoors Backroadz SUV Tent is super roomy. It can fit up to 5 adults and it also has 7 feet of headroom for added comfort.
- This tent has a sleeve that can also be used on minivans as well.
- Another great bonus about the Napier Outdoors Backroadz SUV Tent is that it has a large side awning that is great for lounging and relaxing on warm, sunny days. It is also great because it provides plenty of ventilation during heat waves.
- The Napier Outdoors Backroadz SUV Tent is a great choice whether you are traveling with a bigger family or if you are traveling alone or with another person but you prefer more room, then the Napier Outdoors Backroadz SUV Tent is a great choice for you.
The Takeaway | What You Should Consider
SUV tents are a great way to incorporate your love for camping as well as your love for your SUV. An SUV owner knows that having a quality SUV can be life-changing and this is also true for camping as well. If you have an SUV and you have not considered SUV tents then you most definitely should.
We hope that you found this article helpful and if you did, be sure to pass it on to someone else who might also benefit from reading it.
SUV tents are definitely here to stay which means that many companies will continue to come out with newer models in the future. This means that SUV tents will only get better which is exciting to hear if you own an SUV and love to camp.