When it comes to camping, there are so many great memories associated with being outdoors. There is a connection with nature, the long but fun road trips, and the escape from the busy day-to-day work life with friends or family members.
What is not so fun about camping is the dirty feeling you get after a day or so of not being able to shower. This is probably why most campers are transitioning to “glam-ping.”
However not being to shower will no longer be an issue with these great overland shower options. Now you will be able to enjoy your camping trip without dreading the days after where you will be sticky, smelly, and overall, grumpy.
If you are thinking about taking a long camping trip soon and want to invest in a portable shower, then you have come to the right place. Let’s get started!
Things to Consider When Buying a Portable Shower
Before you dive into which portable shower options is the best for you, it is a good idea to consider these questions:
- How easy are they to use?
- How long do they last?
- Are they easy to pack?
- How much shower time do they provide?
- How often will you need to use a portable shower?
Top 9 Overland Shower Options to Stay Clean
- First on our list is the Simple Shower Portable Camping Shower.
- At first glance, the Simple Shower Portable Camping Shower may not seem like much but it does pack a punch. It can turn any water bottle, contain 1 or 2 liters, into a shower.
- Yes, you heard that right. All you do is plug in the showerhead into the water bottle’s mouth and squeeze the bottle to get a bit of the water through the hose.
- A 2-liter bottle will give you an estimate of 35 seconds shower time.
- If you prefer a hot shower, then all you need to do is heat the water in the bottle beforehand or let it sit in the sun for a few hours to warm it up.
- To learn more about the Simple Shower Portable Camping Shower, check it out here.
- Next on our list, we have the Nemo Helio Portable Pressure Shower with Foot Pump.
- Okay so let’s discuss the obvious first, the Nemo Helio Portable Pressure Shower is not the cheapest portable shower out there in the market today. However, their customers believe that the price is worth it because the quality is so great.
- With the Nemo Helio Portable Pressure Shower, you do not have to hang the apparatus to use it as a shower. It simply sits on the ground. The hose, 7-foot total, is what is used to give you the proper shower experience. This means that you do not have to use both hands since the foot bump is what is used to regulate water flow.
- The Nemo Helio Portable Pressure Shower has a great design and it is very easy to use.
- You also do not need electricity to power it since the Nemo Helio Portable Pressure Shower generates water with its foot pump.
- However, the downside is the size as well. It is quite large compared to other portable showers. If you are already carrying a bunch of gear, equipment, food, and personal belongings, then the last thing you would want is to lunge around a large portable shower.
- To learn more about the Nemo Helio Portable Pressure Shower with Foot Pump, check it out here.
- The Suaoki Outdoor Handheld Portable Camping Shower is a more traditional build. It comes with a pump and a chargeable battery, as well as a hook to hang the hose on a tall structure-like a tree.
- If a chargeable battery is not something that you are particularly keen about, then the Suaoki Outdoor Handheld Portable Camping Shower also comes in a 12 V device powered from your car’s cigarette lighter.
- The only con to that is, depending on how many people you have with you, your car might be running for a while. However, if you normally go alone or with a small group of people, then this should not be a problem. Especially if you are only staying for a night or two.
- Keep in mind that if you go with the second option, that you will have to shower next to your car because the cable needs to link to your car’s cigarette lighter. This might be a problem if you do not set up camp close to your car. Be sure to plan accordingly if you choose this option.
- With the Suaoki Outdoor Handheld Portable Camping Shower, you get about three minutes of shower time with a 5-gallon bucket.
- This means you better shower quickly. If you are someone that enjoys a long shower, then this might not be the option for you. However, it would not be a problem if you are an in-and-out type of person.
- The hose provided with the Suaoki Outdoor Handheld Portable Camping Shower is around six feet so it is a good length.
- To learn more about the Suaoki Outdoor Handheld Portable Camping Shower, check it out here.
- Next, we move into the Anglink Portable Camping Shower.
- The Anglink Portable Camping Shower does require you to have a bucket or a sink as your source of water since it is a pump based shower.
- With the Anglink Portable Camping Shower you first pump the water source and then use the on and off switch on the shower hose to control the flow of water.
- A pro is that the Anglink Portable Camping Shower portable shower is that its charger is not attached to its pump. This makes it more convenient for you to charge the pump through a basic USB cable.
- The Anglink Portable Camping Shower battery life is quite decent- it can give you one full hour at a full charge which equals about a week’s worth of usage.
- The Anglink Portable Camping Shower is also cute and easy to carry around since it only weighs 1.6 pounds. It is also easy to assemble as the instructions are very straightforward.
- The hose is about seven feet in length so it is also quite a good length.
- There are two main cons that consumers have noted that it is important to know if you decide to purchase the Anglink Portable Camping Shower.
- First, the suction cup only goes well on a smooth surface. This does not make it easy to use as a hanging shower which makes it a bit more high maintenance than other portable shower options.
- Secondly, the water stream on the Anglink Portable Camping Shower is quite powerful. This means that a gallon bucket of water will be gone in under ten minutes.
- To learn more about the Anglink Portable Camping Shower, check it out here.
- Last on our list, we have the Advanced Elements 5 Gallon Solar Shower.
- As the name suggests, it comes with 5-gallon water storage.
- It is a solar shower with reflector panels, and it comes with a convenient temperature gauge on the side.
- For your shower needs such as shampoo and body wash, you can store that on the provided side pockets.
- What is great about the Advanced Elements 5 Gallon Solar Shower is that you will be able to get warm water as long as there is sunlight.
- A huge drawback to the Advanced Elements 5 Gallon Solar Shower is that the hose is only 15 inches.
- To learn more about the Advanced Elements 5 Gallon Solar Shower, check it out here.
In Conclusion | Is a Portable Shower Worth the Investment?
Going back to our questions to consider before investing in a portable shower, the main question you have to ask yourself is how often will a portable shower be used?
Are you more interested in traditional camping, where you are miles away from civilization? Or are you more of a “glamper” where you enjoy the outdoors for the majority of the day but would prefer to end the night inside a cabin rather than in a tent?
If you are the former and you do go camping quite a bit, then it is a good idea to invest in a good quality portable shower. Sure, even the best portable shower cannot take the place of fresh, hot water in a cabin but if you are a traditional camper then this would not bother you.
If you are someone that loves camping but does not go often, then you can maybe use your friend’s portable shower if they go more often than you.
All in all, whether you are a traditional camper or whether you enjoy glamping there is no arguing that nothing feels better than a nice shower at the end of a long day. We hope you found this list helpful and do not forget to research used portable showers as well to save yourself a bit of money.