What’s The Difference Between The Volvo XC40 And XC60?
The Volvo lineup of vehicle models will provide the driver and the passenger’s comfort for your pleasurable driving.
These vehicles are well-known for their ease of handling when on curvy roads and rugged terrains.
From a glance, the Volvo XC40 and the XC60 resemble each other, but they have some subtle, important differences.
What’s The Difference Between Volvo XC40 and XC60?
The key differences between Volvo XC40 and XC60 are price, size, and a few extra standard features found in the XC60. The XC60 is a larger SUV that is a step up in the Volvo lineup, but smaller still than the XC90.
Specifically, the Volvo XC40 and XC60 differ as follows:
- The 2021 Volvo XC40 is cheaper than the 2021 Volvo XC60 in terms of the MSRP
- The Volvo XC40 is shorter than the Volvo XC60
- The 2021 Volvo XC60 offers four-zone electronic climate control instead of the two-zone climate control provided by the Volvo XC40
- Volvo XC60 is wider than the Volvo XC40 by 1.2 inches
- Volvo XC40 has a ground clearance of 8.1 inches, while the XC60 features a ground clearance of 8.3 inches
- The wheelbase of the XC40 is 106.4 inches, while that of the XC60 is 112.8 inches
Despite the differences listed, the XC60 and XC40 both have ample interior space, though neither of them is the largest SUVs in the Volvo lineup.
They are both sizable family-friendly crossover SUVs.
These two SUVs are designed for comfort and an enjoyable driving experience.
They both come standard with a panoramic sunroof that provides a clear view of the outside and the sky above.
When driving in the city, the sunroof contributes to the interior ambiance.
The power-adjustable front seats let you lean back as much as you like.
The rear windows that are tinted also help to keep your passengers safe from the sun and external environment.
Each of the two models comes equipped with a wide range of engine power options, torque, and varying fuel economy.
The XC40 comes with an all-electric powertrain called Recharge.
The XC40 comes with three optional powertrains, which include:
- A Turbocharged T4 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that offers 187-hp and produces 221 lb.-ft torque. This engine provides fuel efficiency of 23 MPG in the city and 32 MPG on the highway.
- A lively four-cylinder Turbocharged T5 engine that produces 248-hp and gives 258 lb.-ft torque. This engine option offers fuel efficiency of 22 MPG in the city and 30 MPG on the highway. The Volvo XC60 Model also offers this exact engine option.
- The Volvo XC40 also comes with the environmentally-friendly Recharge Electric engine option. This engine option offers 402-hp and 486-lb.-ft of torque. It also gives a combined fuel efficiency of 70 MPG with a battery that provides a range of 43 kWh per 100 miles.
On the other hand, the Volvo XC60 comes with the following powertrain configuration:
- An aggressive 2.0-liter T6 Turbocharged and a supercharged four-cylinder engine that gives 316-hp and 295 lb.-ft of torque. This engine option offers a city fuel efficiency of 20 MPG and 27 MPG on the highway.
- Turbocharged and supercharged Recharge T8 Plug-in hybrid that offers a whopping 400-hp with 472 lb.-ft of torque. This environmentally-friendly XC60 engine option provides combined fuel efficiency of 57 MPGe.
- The Volvo XC60 is also offered in the Polestar Engineered Turbocharged and supercharged T8 plug-in hybrid engine that provides an amazing 415-hp with 472 lb. ft of torque.
Generally, the Volvo XC60 will be faster, going from 0 to 60 MPH in just 7.0 seconds.
When coupled with Volvo’s Geartronic automatic transmission, the XC40 will get to 60 MPH in 9.6 seconds, but still feels powerful when used for regular daily commutes in the city.
The powertrains offer the SUVs a quiet and comfortable ride.
Despite the slight thud on the pedals, the controls of these two SUVs do not vibrate.
The XC60 is more tuned when cruising at higher speeds, but both SUVs are equally refined at lower speeds.
The XC40 comes with a suspension that flits across bumpy highways and potholes to give a pleasurable driving experience.
R-Design trim level comes standard with a dynamic sports suspension, which offers a much more stable and comfortable ride in the XC40.
On the other hand, for the XC60, the expansion joints and rutted road surface tend to send unpleasant shockwaves through the car; however, it handles sudden bumps more effectively than the XC40.
The Volvo XC40 and the Volvo XC60 models are both equipped with cutting-edge technology that puts you at the forefront of the game.
To keep important vehicle information front and center, both SUVs have a 12.3-inch digital driver’s display.
There’s also a 24/7 services hotline that you can call if you run into problems with the Volvo on Call app that comes standard with both models.
The XC40’s high-performance sound system or the XC60’s Harman Kardon premium sound systems allow you to share your music with your passengers.
This is a common feature that comes standard for both models.
Outside, these two vehicle models are a stunner to look at.
Whether you are considering buying the Volvo XC60 or the Volvo XC40, you will get an elegantly designed and stylish vehicle that oozes prestige from the aggressive front look to the stylishly curved rear.
This is among the top-of-the-line SUVs from Volvo that packs a punch in the automobile market.
To make at night convenient, the two models have LED headlights that come with an active bending.
Both the Volvo XC60 and the XC40 have a motorized tailgate that makes it easy to load your cargo.
They both feature hidden tailpipes.
In terms of safety, Volvo has always been a leader in the industry for many decades.
The new Volvo XC60 and XC40 have a slew of high-tech safety features, which include:
- Collision avoidance support
- Lane-keeping assistance
- Blindspot warning system
- Cross-traffic warning system
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is the Volvo XC40 a safe SUV?
The Volvo XC40 is very safe. Since the XC40 is in the lineup of Volvo vehicles, it is guaranteed to have state-of-the-art standard safety features installed.
Volvo has for many decades been keen on the design and manufacture of safe cars.
This SUV comes standard with a wide range of safety features.
The safety features include forward automatic braking for pedestrian safety, blind-spot monitoring, and reverse cross-traffic warning.
How many seats does an XC60 have?
This is a five-seater SUV with no seven-seater options. For a bigger family, you may have to consider the Volvo XC90 SUV.
However, the XC60’s cabin is spacious enough for a moderately sized family and cargo.
This adventure-ready SUV will carry both your family and cargo easily and still have enough space inside the cabin.
Volvo XC40 vs. Volvo XC60: Which one is smaller?
The Volvo XC40 is slightly smaller than the Volvo XC60, but at the same time, it comes with its appealing personality and luxury that will lure buyers into opting for it.
Besides, the XC40 is far cheaper than its counterpart, the XC60, which packs more prestige and class than the Volvo XC40.
Is the Volvo XC40 worth the money?
Yes, the Volvo XC40 is worth your hard-earned money. This luxurious subcompact SUV certainly lives up to its name.
Despite the smooth ride and lively handling, its turbocharged engines produce impressive acceleration.
Inside, this SUV comes lined with premium material and design with ample room for passengers.
This is value for your money.
Should You Get A Volvo XC40 or XC60?
Therefore, if you are on a budget, the Volvo XC40 will save you some bucks in the initial cost.
But if you have some extra bucks to spare, you can go for the Volvo XC60 model because it comes with some additional features that make it stand out from other SUVs of the same class.
Volvo drivers love the style, safety, and high-tech features; the Volvo XC40 Recharge trim has it all.
This model will save you a great deal in fuel cost if you live in the suburbs or the city, thanks to its low fuel consumption and high-range electric motor.
This SUV is fun-to-drive and very affordable.
On the other hand, the Volvo XC60 model is a mid-sized all-wheel-drive SUV that offers a pleasurable driving experience.
Additionally, drivers have a wide range of powertrain options, including the plug-in hybrid.
Driving the Volvo XC60 SUV is a breeze because it is safe, comfortable, and stylish.
With the inscription trim level, you can get all packages and extra features.
However, you can still get the best value for money across all its trim levels.