There is no denying that the Toyota Land Cruiser is a popular car and for good reasons as well. The Toyota Land Cruiser has a generous amount of cargo seats and it offers drivers more seats than most vehicles in its competition. It can seat up to eight people comfortably and it is a fantastic family car. Not to mention, the Toyota Land Cruiser has a powerful and massive engine. However, is it powerful enough to tow a horse trailer?
Now to some people, especially those who live in areas where they do not see horses often this is a strange question. However, do keep in mind that horses are big and they weigh a lot; hence, a horse trailer has to accommodate that. That means that if the Toyota Land Cruiser is able to tow a horse trailer, then that must mean that it can tow a lot right? Right. So, can a Toyota Land Cruiser tow a horse trailer?
Let’s find out!
What is a Horse Trailer and How Much Does it Weigh?
While many people may roll their eyes and think this is a silly question, it actually is not. A horse trailer, like the name states, is a trailer that holds horses. That part people understand but the need for it, they may not.
This is understandable because unless you live in a state where farms and horses are abundant, most people live out their lives without ever seeing a real horse on a farm let alone see a horse being transported in a trailer.
A horse trailer is sometimes called a trailer van and it transport horses-sometimes full-grown horses and other times baby horses-from one farm to another.
As you can imagine, horses weigh a ton so for a trailer to be able to carry the horse then it must also have some weight to it as well as be very durable. A horse trailer normally weighs between 2,300 lbs and 3,900 lbs. Yes, you read that right. It is quite a lot but it is not too out there considering horses weigh anywhere from 800 lbs to 2,000 lbs.
The average empty weight of a horse trailer or horse van is around 2,900 lbs; however, that weight is just the empty weight. When you do factor in the horse and the cargo, the number does increase.
Also, we need to keep in mind that although most trailers just transport one horse there are horse trailers that are big enough and durable enough for two horses. If that is the case, then the trailer weight will be closer to 3,000 lbs.
Be sure to weigh the empty weight of your trailer along with your cargo before you put a horse in the picture as well.
Can a Toyota Land Cruiser Tow a Horse Trailer?
Before we answer that question, we should first find out how much a Toyota Land Cruiser can tow overall. For the purpose of this article, we will focus on the 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser since it is the most current Toyota Land Cruiser.
The 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser can tow up to 8,100 lbs.
Yes, you read that right, 8,100 lbs. Now as we have mentioned before, an empty horse trailer on its own weighs up to 2,900 lbs. A horse’s weight depends on the size (we know, obviously) but they typically weigh anywhere between 800 lbs to 2,000 lbs. So even if we take the heaviest horse, say 2,300 lbs and a full-size horse trailer of 2,900 and say 1,000 lbs worth of cargo it will still only weigh 6,200 lbs!
So the answer to whether or not a Toyota Land Cruiser is able to tow a horse trailer is yes! Most vehicles can tow an empty horse trailer but how many can say that they can tow a horse trailer, with a full-size horse in it, plus some cargo with some weight to spare? Not many that are for sure, not many.
So if you have a horse trailer that needs towing then you can rest assure that the Toyota Land Cruiser can get the job done.
Want to Learn More About the Toyota Land Cruiser?
If you found the Toyota Land Cruiser towing capacity impressive and want to learn more, then we have got you covered.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser can seat eight passengers comfortably.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser has semi-aniline perforated leather-trimmed seating surfaces. This makes the seats in the Toyota Land Cruiser extra comfortable as well as extra stylish.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser has heated front seats as well as ventilated front seats.
- As far as seatings go, the Toyota Land Cruiser has a 40/20/40 split. As far as the second-row seating goes, it has sliding, reclining, folding, tumble, and heated seats. So not only will the driver be comfortable but those in the backseats as well.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser has premium audio with Integrated Invaigation6. This includes des a 9-inch split-screen display as well as a CD player. This actually quite a big deal since newer model vehicles are leaning away from CD players but if you are someone that loves CDs then you will be happy to know that the Toyota Land Cruiser has got you covered.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser has four-zone automatic climate control.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser comes with a smart key system24 which is a push-button start.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser comes equipped with a 5.7 L V8 Engine which yields 381 HP at 5,600 RPM.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser also has 401 lb of torque at 3,600 RPM.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser has an 8 speed Electronically Controlled automatic transmission.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser has a full 4WD (four-wheel drive) system with active traction control.
If you would like even more information about the Toyota Land Cruiser or if you want more details on the information given above, please check out Toyota’s website here.
In Conclusion | Is the Toyota Land Cruiser For You?
Most people might read the title of this article and wonder, “why would anyone need to know if their Toyota Land Cruiser can tow a horse trailer” and we cannot blame them.
It is quite an odd question; however, the true question is figuring out how much a Toyota Land Cruiser can actually tow. Horses are big and heavy animals so if a Toyota Land Cruiser is able to tow a horse trailer, with a horse and some cargo then it is quite the commendable ride.
Aside from their impressive towing capacity, Toyota Land Cruisers are also known for their unique styles as well. Toyota Land Cruiser fans love that they can expect quality from their Toyota Land Cruiser which means that the SUV is made with good quality material.
Not only that but they also know that they can depend on their Toyota Land Cruiser and Toyota the brand itself.
Because the Toyota Land Cruiser has such great features it is no wonder that it is up there in price. Not only is the Toyota Land Cruiser known for its admirable features but it is also infamously known for its high price tag.
For example, the 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser model starting price is $85,415. Yes, that is the starting price for the Toyota Land Cruiser…
Some people think the Toyota Land Cruiser’s price tag is ridiculous while others believe that the Toyota Land Cruiser is worth every cent.
There are fair points for both sides but if we are just basing the worth of the all-new Toyota Land Cruiser on its towing capacity, then we have to agree that it is quite worth the price tag.