SUVs are quite amazing vehicles and throughout the years, they definitely seem to be able to do it all. They are spacious, comfortable, fuel-efficient (yes, you read that right), and have a strong engine. Did we mention that they have great towing capacities? Well, they do. But how well are these towing capacities?
How much can an SUV really tow? And is it enough to say tow a tiny house? Well, let’s find out!
How Much Does a Tiny House Actually Weigh?
Before we dive into SUVs and all of that jazz, we need to figure out just how much a tiny house weighs. Because without that information, how would we be able to figure out if an SUV can actually tow it?
So just how much does a tiny house actually weigh?
10,000 lbs! Well roughly, 10,000 lbs that are.
If you are wondering what “roughly” means, it means there are some tiny houses that will weigh a bit less, and yes…some that will weigh a bit more. While the thought of the latter is quite frightening it is true. Also, we wanted to note that 10,000 lbs are just the dry weight of these tiny houses.
The dry weight meaning that this is how much the tiny house will weigh on its own without any furnishings.
Can an SUV Pull a Tiny House? | How Much Can SUVs Pull-on Average?
The short and quick answer to that is: no, and here is why. Below we have listed some SUVs with the highest towing capacity and none of them can tow 10,000 lbs. The most impressive is the Dodge Durango SRT which can tow an impressive 8,700 lbs but even that is not enough!
Still, if you wanted to know more about the towing capacities of some of the best SUVs around, we have listed them down below.
However, do not be discouraged just because SUVs cannot tow a tiny house (to be fair, 10,000 lbs is quite hefty) does not mean that nothing will be able to.
● Dodge Durango SRT
- Towing capacity: 8,700 lbs
- First, on our list, we have the Dodge Durango SRT.
- Let’s get one thing straight, you do not need to buy a full-size SUV in order to get some impressive towing capacity and this rings true with the Dodge Durango SRT.
- The Dodge Durango SRT comes standard all-wheel drive.
- The Dodge Durango SRT comes equipped with a 6.4 L V8 engine which yields 475 HP. The Dodge Durango SRT can go from 0 to 60 in just 4.5 seconds.
- Did we also mention its impressive towing capacity? An amazing 8,700 lbs!
- Even if you opt for the 3.6 L V6 or 5.7 L V8 engines the towing capacity is 6,200 lbs and 7,400 lbs-it is still very impressive.
● Ford Expedition (Expedition Max)
- Towing capacity: 9,300 lbs
- Is there really any surprise that the Ford Expedition (Expedition Max) made it on the list?
- The Ford Expedition (Expedition Max) with an optional heavy-duty trailer package can tow up to 9.300 lbs!
- The Ford Expedition (Expedition Max) can tow 9,200 lbs with a four-wheel drive.
- Now if you are not impressed by that towing capacity, then how about this? The towing capacity of the Ford Expedition (Expedition Max) is the highest rating for any model-year 2020 SUV.
- The Ford Expedition (Expedition Max) is an extended-length version of the Ford Expedition.
- If you are wondering just how much the Ford Expedition can tow without the packages, the answer to that is 6,000 lbs. So yes, quite the drop!
- You will have to decide if the 6,000 lbs are good enough for you or if you would rather pay extra for the 9,300 lbs.
● Lincoln Navigator (Navigator L)
- Towing capacity: 8,700 lbs (8, 300 lbs with 4WD).
- Next in line is the Lincoln Navigator (Navigator L).
- Lincoln Navigator (Navigator L) is Ford’s luxury edition and do not let the term “luxury” steer you away because the Lincoln Navigator (Navigator L) has a great towing capacity.
- If you are wondering if you have to opt for a heavy-duty tow package in order to get the 8,700 lbs towing capacity, the answer to that is yes.
- What happens if you do not get the heavy-duty towing package you ask? Well, if you opt to not get the heavy-duty towing package for the Lincoln Navigator (Navigator L) then the towing capacity will range from 6,200 lbs to 6, 600 lbs.
- Not bad but then again, it is up to you whether you want the extra 2,000 or so extra lbs.
● Nissan Armada
- Towing capacity: 8, 500 lbs.
- The Nissan Armada is next on the list and for very good reasons.
- The Nissan Armada is a full-size SUV and it comes equipped with a standard 5.6 L V8 engine.
● Chevrolet Tahoe (Suburban)
- Towing capacity: 8, 600 lbs.
- Lastly, we have the Chevrolet Tahoe (Suburban).
- The Chevrolet Tahoe (Suburban) comes equipped with a 5.3 L V8 engine that has a towing capacity of 8,600 lbs (8,400 pounds with 4WD).
- The Chevrolet Tahoe (Suburban) 6.2 L V8 can tow 8,400 lbs (8,100 lbs 4WD).
So you are probably wondering, “well if an SUV cannot pull a tiny house then what can?” The answer to that is a truck. Yes, a truck. Now 10,000 lbs is still a large amount even for a truck, so we have found a list of trucks that are able to tow 10,000 lbs. Do not worry, you and your little house are getting places!
Can a Truck Pull a Tiny House?
The answer to that is: yes! However, not all trucks can. Luckily for those of us who need it, 2020 has come in handy because according to Truck Trend Network, there are ten different trucks that are able to tow 10,000 (and some can even tow more)!
While this may not be the answer some people had hoped for because they want an SUV and not a truck, this is great news because it is possible to tow a tiny house…just not with an SUV.
If you are interested in what kind of trucks are able to pull 10,000 lbs or more then we would suggest checking out Truck Trend Network’s online article. The good news is that these are all brand-new trucks so you will be able to get your hands on them, no problem.
Here is the link to Truck Trend Network’s article, titled “Ten New Trucks that Tow 10,000 pounds or More.” It is quite an interesting read! Check it out here.
In Conclusion | What You Need to Know
While SUVs prove to be great vehicles (based on that list we had shown earlier), they cannot do it all. While their towing capacity is quite impressive, they cannot tow something as heavy as a tiny house. If you have your heart set out on a vehicle that can tow a tiny house, then you should check out the truck options from our list.