While there are many reasons why consumers who choose to buy an SUV, chances are many of them are not buying it to commute long distances. Even if you do not know much about SUVs, you probably understand that SUVs are not known for their fuel-efficiency. However, that is okay because if people wanted a fuel-efficient car then they would not be looking into an SUV.
Yet even though commuters would not want to buy an SUV, what if you were looking for an SUV but could not afford to buy a new one? And what if the one you want has a high mileage? Well, if you were wondering what is the best high mileage SUV to buy then we have got you covered.
Let’s get started!
Why Buy a High Mileage SUV?
The short and quick answer: because it is affordable.
- If an SUV has high mileage it can mean three things:
- It has been driven a lot: the only way for your mileage to increase is if you drive it. So if the car has high mileage it means that it has been driven a lot. And while that may sound like common sense, most people connect high mileage to older vehicles and that is not always the case.
- A car can have high mileage even if it has only been driven for a year. Mileage depends on how often and how far you drive your car, not necessarily how long you have had the car.
- It is an older vehicle:
- Most of the time though high mileage does mean that the SUV is an older model.
- Sure it is possible to put 30,000 to 50,000 miles in a year but anything more than that is quite rare. So if the SUV you are looking at already has over 100,000 miles on it then you can probably deduct that it is an older model.
- It is an older vehicle that has been driven a lot:
- This last one is probably the most often and the one that you probably might want to avoid. If the car is an older mile, say five or more years and it has been driven a lot, then it might have some maintenance issues.
- This is not always the case because the previous owner could have taken good care of it but if your SUV falls into this last category, be sure to inspect that everything else looks good before buying.
No matter what the reason for the high mileage is, one solid conclusion is that the SUV has been used and it has been used a lot.
As with all used cars, it will be significantly cheaper than a brand-new or slightly used one. Most parents will buy their child a used car because they have the foresight that their child will most likely ding up the car here and there. This is normal even if you are the most careful child because it is all a part of the learning process.
People who are trying to buy a used car also appreciate the lower price point. So while it is not ideal to buy an SUV with high mileage, it is affordable and if you are just learning to drive, it also makes sense.
So if you want a brand-new car or want that has less mileage then you will need to spend more money. However, if you are looking to not spend a lot on a used car then you will need to accept that the car you are getting for a cheaper price probably will have high mileage.
Is it a Good Idea to Buy a High Mileage SUV?
Just because an SUV has high mileage does not mean that it is destined to fail. It shows that the car is able to handle quite a bit of road time.
You should consider other aspects of the car (how does the interior look, are there any engine problems, is the paint looking okay or is it peeling off, how often did the previous owner take in his or her car for maintenance, etc) before you decide to buy it though.
High mileage is not ideal when buying an SUV but it should also not be the be all end all factor as well.
Best High Mileage SUVs to Buy
Now that we have gotten all of the background information out of the way, let’s dive into the best high mileage SUVs to buy.
● Subaru Forester
- First, on our list, we have the Subaru Forester.
- The Subaru Forester was such a hot item when it first hit the market and we can see why. The Subaru Forester had not just one, but various engine options. Back when it first came out, it had the best (according to many owners) 4 wheel drive system.
- Did we mention its amazing turbocharger? The turbocharger has great variants and the Subaru Forester engines are proved to last more than 250,000 miles with the right diagnostic. Now that is impressive, and that is why it is the first on our list.
● Lexus GX460
- Next on our list, we have the Lexus GX460.
- Lexus GX460 has received great, raving reviews from consumers. They noted that despite the V8 engine being quite powerful, it is also not the most fuel-efficient. However, owners of the Lexus GX460 did note that they do not have to take their SUV to the mechanic often except for the usual routine checkups.
- This is really important because when you buy a used SUV, you are saving money (because as we know, the newer the car is, the more pricey it will be). However, you do not want this to be an initial factor, meaning that you pay a lower fee but the maintenance fee will end up costing you almost as much as a new car.
- If you chose the Lexus GX460, then you probably will not have that issue.
● Lexus RX350/450 H
- Both the Lexus RX350/450 H are quite exceptional because you get to choose between a hybrid or a gas model.
- Both are great and consumers who bought one or the other seem to enjoy both the Lexus RX350 and 450 H.
● Honda Pilot
- Coming up next, we have the Honda Pilot.
- Honda Pilots have been around for a while and if you take a look around, you probably might be able to spot one next to you.
- This is because like Toyota, Hondas are known to last and they are reliable. When it comes to high mileage SUVs, you can’t go around with a Honda.
● Toyota Highlander
- Can we have a list of the best SUVs without Toyota making an appearance?
- The Toyota Highlander is a great SUV because it is a reliable one, and both Toyota and Honda vehicles are known for their reliability and their amazing resale value.
● GMC Yukon XL
- Next is the GMC Yukon XL.
- The GMC Yukon XL is a comfortable crossover but it also has quite a unique look that will catch the attention of those around you.
- The GMC Yukon XL is a popular luxury crossover SUV and it could easily hit the 250,000 mileage mark, no problem.
- Even if you buy the GMC Yukon XL, it will still be a comfortable and luxurious ride that both you and your passengers will enjoy.
● Chevrolet Avalanche
- Last but certainly not least, we have the Chevrolet Avalanche.
- The Chevrolet Avalanche is a full-size pickup and an SUV. it offers a powerful 5.3 L V8 engine that yields 320 HP and 355 lb-ft of torque.
- Not only is the Chevrolet Avalanche a comfortable ride but it is also a reliable one.
- Did we also mention how roomy the Chevrolet Avalanche for your passengers as well?
We hope this list gave you some good ideas on what high mileage SUVs to buy. Did the SUV or SUVs you were considering make this list? Did you find some new SUVs to look into? We sure hope so!
Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to SUVs, some know everything about SUVs, and then there are the rest of us who are somewhat in the middle.
Here are some frequently asked questions about SUVs that many people have had, and you might find a few that you have as well.
● What are some things to look for when buying a used SUV?
- This goes for all cars and not just SUVs but is sure to carefully inspect the used vehicle before you decide to buy it. Chances are, the person you are buying it from is good but it does not mean that you should not thoroughly inspect the SUV just in case.
- The same can be said if you buy your SUV at a dealership or a used car lot. Just because the car is at a secure location does not mean you should trust blindly. Inspect it to see if there are any dents or scratches. If the business or the previous owner is honest then these dents or scratches would be brought up to your attention immediately.
- However, sometimes a small imperfection or two can go unnoticed and that is okay too. Make sure to point it out and who knows, you might even get a discount because of it.
- If you are meeting with someone you have met online, make sure to ask him or her to send you a lot of photos of the vehicle before you commit. The previous owner should understand the risk you are taking and should be more than happy to take photos for you. Remember to ask as many questions as you need to in order to feel comfortable purchasing the vehicle. If at the end of it you do not feel like this is the SUV for you, then it is okay as well.
● What are the best places to look for high mileage SUVs?
- The best option would be to go to a used car shop where you can physically see and touch the car itself. It will help you get a better feel for the vehicle versus seeing photos on the internet.
- However, there are great online car shops that have unbeatable deals.
- Your best bet would probably be to do a combination of both or ask around to your friends and family. They either will know someone who is selling their SUVs, have knowledgeable information about the used car market, or at least help you browse the internet for good deals. It’s a win-win situation no matter how you look at it.
In Conclusion | To Buy or Not to Buy
The bottom line is if, given the choice, the majority of people would choose a brand-new SUV over a used SUV if they were both the same price. Sounds like common sense right?
However, this is not a world where that scenario would ever play out. The truth of the matter is the reason why high mileage SUVs are affordable. After all, they have been driven quite a bit, and yes because they are used.
The second you drive your car off the dealership lot, its value has already begun to decrease. The same can be said for every single car, including SUVs.
The reason why the majority of consumers overlook high mileage when it comes to fuel-efficient vehicles or vehicles that are commute friendly is that they know that despite their current high mileage, they will be able to last them a few years.
The same, however, cannot be said for SUVs. Yet that does mean that you are doomed if you choose to buy a used SUV. All the ones on our list are great candidates and will serve you well.
We hope you found this article helpful and you were able to narrow down your choices of high mileage SUVs. If you know someone who is also looking into buying a used SUV, then please feel free to pass this article along.