What SUVs Can Pull A Camper or Travel Trailer?
Whether you own an SUV and wonder if it can pull a travel trailer or whether you own a travel trailer and are looking for an SUV that can handle its weight, we understand the struggle. There are so many great SUVs out there, but which ones are capable of pulling a travel trailer well?
Although most people might assume that the bigger the SUV, the better it is for towing but that is honestly not the case. We have compiled a list of the top 10 best SUVs for towing, and you may be surprised to see some of these names on our list.
What SUVs Can Pull A Camper or Travel Trailer?
|What SUV’s Can Pull A Camper?|
|GMC Yukon / Yukon LX|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited|
If you plan to buy the biggest full-size SUV so you can tow your travel trailer, then that is not a bad plan. A full-size SUV is what you would want because it will give you the largest possible range of towing potential.
However, there is an easy route to take. Remember to keep in mind that in the United States, the average trailer weighs around 3,500. This means that you do not need to buy the biggest and strongest SUV to pull your trailer. Knowing all of this will benefit you in the long run because you will not:
- Have to spend more money on a bigger SUV (saving money is always a plus, right?)
- Have to worry about finding space for the large trailer (can you imagine what a pain it would be to have to find space for both your large travel trailer and your large SUV?)
Top 10 Best SUVs for Towing
Whether you think you know what SUV you want to buy, it does not hurt to consider these options. Every single SUV on this list is on here for a reason, and not only are they ideal for towing but they are also great SUVs in general. Let’s get started!
1. Dodge Durango
Trailer towing capacity of 7,400 lbs
Starting off our list, we have the Dodge Durango.
The Dodge Durango is a full-size SUV that may look like your average SUV but is so much more than that.
The Dodge Durango has a 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 engine which yields 360 HP and 390 lb-ft of torque.
Although the Dodge Durango is a full-size hauler, it is not as cumbersome in size as some other full-size SUVs.
The Dodge Durango is also able to fit seven passengers, comfortably.
2. GMC Yukon / Yukon XL
Trailer towing capacity of 8,300 lbs.
- The GMC Yukon comes in two sizes: the base model and the Yukon XL.
- The base model is the standard-wheelbase entry model while the Yukon XL is the extended-wheelbase model.
- The base model can seat nine passengers, comfortably.
- The GMC Yukon base model comes with a 5.3-liter, V-8 engine that yields 335 HP and 383 lb-ft of torque.
- If you combine that engine with the full-frame design then the base GMC Yukon can pull as much as 8,500.
- If you opt for the Yukon XL, then you will get the longer wheelbase which is not available in the base model.
- The Yukon XL will also come with extra interior storage space which means your passengers will not be fighting for any legroom.
- However, do keep in mind that if you choose to opt for the Yukon XL over the GMC Yukon base model that you will lose a bit of towing capability.
- The Yukon XL can tow 8,300 while the Yukon base model can tow up to 8,500 so you are looking at a 200 lb difference, give or take.
3. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Trailer towing capacity of 3,500 lbs
- The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has that classic SUV look that we all know and love.
- For those who are wondering what is the difference between the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the Jeep Wrangler, it is the doors. The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has four doors while the Jeep Wrangler has two.
- The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is known for its off-road abilities, which makes it a fun car to drive, then it is for its towing capabilities so you might have been surprised to see it on our list.
- However the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited does have a powerful 3.6-liter, V-6 engine that yields 285 HP and 260 lb-ft of torque.
- For maximum towing capacities, combine the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited’s impressive engine with its long wheelbase.
- It can carry 3,500 worth of weight behind it without a problem.
- Most people prefer the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited over the Jeep Wrangler if they want it for towing purposes.
4. Chevrolet Equinox
Trailer towing capacity of 3,500 lbs.
- Moving on, we have the Chevrolet Equinox. The Chevrolet Equinox is a small but mighty SUV that most people, especially ones who measure strength in size, might pass up. However, that is quite a mistake.
- The Chevrolet Equinox is a compact SUV, seating five passengers comfortably. With the Chevrolet Equinox you are given the option to choose between a four-cylinder engine or a V-6 engine.
- If you are planning on using the Chevrolet Equinox for towing purposes, then you would want to opt for the six-cylinder engine.
- The Chevrolet Equinox comes with a 3.6-liter six-cylinder motor engine that yields 301 HP and 272 lb-ft of torque. The V-6 engine more than doubles the tow rating, giving the Chevrolet Equinox the ability to tow 3,500 lbs.
- If this seems impressive to you, that is because it is! 3,500 is more than enough for the average person and if you are someone that does not care for excess then the Chevrolet Equinox is an SUV that you should look into.
5. Lincoln Navigator
Trailer towing capacity of 9,000 lbs
- The Lincoln Navigator is a force to be reckoned with. It is a beautiful looking car that will get heads turning no matter where you drive it.
- The Lincoln Navigator comes with a 5.4-liter, V-8 engine that yields 380 HP and 460 lb-ft of torque.
- The Lincoln Navigator used to come with the 3.5-liter twin-turbo Ecoboost V-6 engine for the previous model.
- If you want something extra to add to your Lincoln Navigator, then consider the Lincoln adaptive suspension system.
- With the Lincoln adaptive suspension system, you can have a smoother ride with less bumps on the road.
6. Cadillac Escalade
Trailer towing capacity of 8,300 lbs
The Cadillac Escalade is next on our list. It comes with a 6.2 liter, V-8 engine that yields 420 HP and 460 lb-ft of torque.
It is often compared to the Lincoln Navigator by many drivers; however, it is a bit more luxurious.
The Cadillac Escalade can seat eight passengers, comfortably.
If you want an SUV that is powerful but also stylish, then look no further than the Cadillac Escalade.
7. Toyota Highlander
Trailer towing capacity of 5,000 lbs
If you are surprised to see the Toyota Highlander on this list, then rest assured you are not alone.
When you think of Toyota, you would think of it to be more of a family vehicle than you would a powerful SUV to haul a travel trailer which was understandable.
The Toyota Highlander is more impressive as a towing SUV than most people would think. It has a 3.5-liter V-6 engine which yields 270 HP and 248 lb-ft of torque.
When you pair the Toyota Highlander’s engine with Toyota’s towing package, you will be able to pull a full 5,000 lbs.
Toyota’s towing package includes: an upgraded cooling engine and vehicle electrical system.
If you were not considering the Toyota Highlander now, then we hope that you will now.
8. 2015 Ford Expedition
Trailer towing capacity of 9,200 lbs
Next on our list is the Ford Expedition.Those who are fans of the Lincoln Navigator might see some similar between it and the Ford Expedition. However, the Lincoln Navigator is a bit fancier.
If you were not a fan of the past models of the Ford Expedition, then you might want to reconsider the Ford Expedition.Ford has given the 2015 Ford Expedition a makeover, and many drivers are loving it.
The Ford Expedition has a powerful 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 engine that yields 365 HP and 60 lb-ft torque.
The Ford Expedition seats eight passengers, comfortably.
Compared to the Lincoln Navigator, the Ford Expedition beats it when it comes to towing capacity. If you are looking for the best tow ceiling SUV, then look no further than the Ford Expedition.
9. Chevrolet Tahoe
Trailer towing capacity of 8,600 lbs
The Chevrolet Tahoe is often compared to the GMC Yukon because many people see stark similarities in the two SUVs. However, GMC noticed these similarities and decided to redesign their vehicles to let each vehicle stand out on its accords.
If you liked the idea of previous Chevrolet Tahoes but did not like the exterior skin, then you should reconsider the Chevrolet Tahoe.
The Chevrolet Tahoe comes with a 5.3-liter, V8 engine which yields 355 HP.
Exterior wise, it has a truck-derived frame and it can seat nine passengers comfortably with three rows of seating.
If you do not like the Chevrolet Tahoe for any reasons, then the GMC Yukon would be an SUV to consider. The Chevrolet Tahoe indeed has a higher towing rate than the Yukon by about 100 lbs; however, if you get the 383 lb-ft of torque on tap, then the Chevrolet Tahoe and the Yukon are pretty similar.
10. Nissan Armada
Trailer towing capacity of 9,000 lbs
You might be surprised to see the Nissan Armada on this list, and honestly we do not blame you. The Nissan Armada gets a bad wrap because it is one of the oldest pickup platforms on the market. There are more updated SUVs out there, but this does mean that the Nissan Armada should get tossed aside.
The 2015 Nissan Armada can not only compete with the newest and most updated SUVs, but it also has leverage of comfort and a powerful engine.
The 2015 Nissan Armada has a powerful 5.6 liter, V8 engine that yields 317 HP and 385 lb-ft of torque.
It can also fit eight passengers, comfortably which makes it ideal for road trips and vacations.
However, do keep in mind that this 9,000 lbs towing capacity is done by combining the 2015 Nissan Armada with its towing package.
If you choose to not combine the 2015 Nissan Armada with its towing package, then understand that you will lose about 3,000 lbs. The 2015 Nissan Armada at the entry level mode, can tow around 6,000 lbs.
This is still plenty but if you did need something more heavy duty, then we do suggest combining the 2015 Nissan Armada with the available towing package.
The Takeaway|What SUV is the one for you?
For those of you who are wondering or have been wondering what SUVs is best to pull a trailer, we hope that you found this list helpful. Or if you already own an SUV and wonder how much it can tow, we hope that by comparing it to other SUVs in the market that you can see where your SUVs land.
A lot of times, it is the most inconspicuous SUVs that may surprise you the most.
It is almost important to remember that on their own, most SUVs will not be able to tow as much. Be sure to look out for additional towing add on packages if you want to maximize your SUVs towing capabilities.
If you are looking to buy an SUV but are a bit tight in funds, then make sure to check out your local car dealerships. A lot of times they will still have older models in stock and those will sell at a lower price or you can check around online for pre-owned vehicles.