A lot of drivers that base their preference off of size and power would most likely always choose a standard SUV over a midsize SUV; however, there is something small but mighty about midsize SUVs that are deemed respectable. If you own a midsize SUV and are worried about its towing capacity, then you do not need to be. Many midsize SUVs are able to haul more than most owners would think.
Down below we have compiled a list of the ten best midsize SUVs for towing. If you are looking to buy a midsize SUV and are on the fence about which ones, then you might find this list helpful.
Midsize SUVs are great if you love to travel, have a big family, or need a hauler for your trailer but you are limited on space to park. It is a great hybrid between a powerful hauler and a compact ride.
What is the Difference Between a Standard SUV and a Midsize SUV?
Before we get started on diving into the top 10 best midsize SUVs for towing, we should address a question that most people have but might be too afraid to ask. What is the difference between a standard SUV and a midsize SUV? It is a question that may seem obvious, but it is not really.
- The main difference is, of course, its size. Standard size SUVs, also known as full-size SUVs, are significantly bigger than midsize SUVs, also known as intermediate SUVs.
- In numerous safety tests, standard size SUVs are known to be safer cars. This is because they are bigger, and therefore it performs higher in standard crash safety tests. This does not mean that midsize SUVs are less safe to drive in but its size does play a difference.
- If you are big on fuel efficiency then the mid-size SUVs are calling your name. The standard size was created solely for its off-road capability and high towing capacity. Since standard size SUVs require a powerful engine to perform at such a high level, there has to be a trade-off. Since the engines in standard size SUVs are so powerful, this means that it will be less gas efficient than the mid-size SUV.
- Drivers tend to prefer mid-size SUVs than the standard size SUVs because the handling and drivability are usually better rated on the former. Midsize SUVs are a great hybrid of durability and power. However, standard size SUVs still take the cake for being ideal for towing.
Well there you have it, the four most distinguishable differences between the standard size SUV and its smaller counterpart, the midsize SUV.
We hope you found this helpful and that it answered any questions you had on the differences between a standard size SUV and a midsize SUV. Now, let’s dive into the top ten best midsize SUVs for towing!
Top 10 Best Midsize SUVs for Towing
1. 2020 Dodge Durango
- Towing capacity: 6,200 to 8,700 lbs
- Starting off our list is the 2020 Dodge Durango. The Dodge Durango made its first debut in 1998 and since then, has been constantly improved. The 2020 model of the Dodge Durango offers the additional third row, strong towing capacity, updated performance and four-wheel-drive.
- Back in 2011, the Dodge Durango received a major remodeling that many drivers were not mad about.
- The Dodge Durango has the classic midsize SUV look but it is arguable that there are better midsize SUVs out there when it comes to fuel-saving technology.
- The Dodge Durango comes in eight trim levels which is great if you are someone that likes to consider your options. The most popular of the Dodge Durango trim levels is undoubtedly the GT Plus AWD.
- The Dodge Durango GT Plus AWD starts at $39.090 and comes equipped with a 3.6 L, V6 engine and all-wheel drive.
- The Dodge Durango GT Plus AWD will give you 13 mpg city and 19 mpg highway.
2. 2020 Land Rover Discovery
- Towing capacity: 7,716 to 8,201 lbs
- The 2020 Land Rover Discovery is for drivers who want a little luxury sprinkled in with their midsize SUV.
- The 2020 Land Rover Discovery is a great off-road vehicle that is also spacious and comfortable. It comes with the additional third row for optimal seating space.
- The Land Rover Discovery first came on the market in 1989 and has been a crowd favorite midsize SUV since.
- The 2020 Land Rover Discovery fifth-generation kicked off with the 2017 model. The 2020 Land Rover Discovery is a 5 seater vehicle that comes in four different trim levels. The most popular of those trim levels are without a doubt, the HSE V6 Supercharged. The 2020 Land Rover Discovery HSE V6 Supercharged starts off at $60,725 and it comes equipped with a 3.0 L V6 S/C engine and four-wheel drive.
- The 2020 Land Rover Discovery Discovery HSE V6 Supercharged will give you 16 mpg city and 21 mpg highway.
3. 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Sport
- Towing capacity: 5,511 to 7,716 lbs
- The 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Sport is closely related to the classic Range Rover. It is a crowd favorite because it delivers in terms of capability, speed, and comfort.
- The 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Sport differs from the classic Range Rover in the sense that it focuses on the on-road aspect.
- The 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Sport comes with an array of engine options such as the powerful, supercharged V8 engine that yields 575 HP.
- The 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Sport can seat five people, comfortably and is available in six different trim levels. The most popular of these trim levels is the HSE Turbo i6 which starts at $75,565. It comes with a 3.0 L I6 S/C and Turbo engine and four-wheel drivers.
- The 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Sport will give you 17 mpg city and 22 mpg highway.
4. 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE
- Towing capacity: 7,700 lbs
- If you want a great midsize SUV but do not want to give up the luxury aspect of a nice car, then the 2020 Mercedes Benz GLE is an SUV that you might want to consider.
- In 2020, the second-generation GLE was released and it comes in three different trim levels.
- The most popular of the 2020 Mercedes Benz GLE is without a doubt, the GLE 350 4MATIC. This trim level starts at $57,745 and comes equipped with a 2.0 L I4 Turbo engine and all-wheel drive.
- The 2020 Mercedes Benz GLE 350 4MATIC will give you 19 mpg city and 24 mpg highway.
5. 2020 Porsche Cayenne
- Towing capacity: 7,700 lbs
- The 2020 Porsche Cayenne is one of a kind because it offers so much in such a small package. The 2020 Porsche Cayenne has been said to be the perfect combination of practicality, luxury, and sporty.
- The Porsche Cayenne was first introduced back in 2003. Back then, it was launched with the current third-generation 2018 model year.
- The 2020 Porsche Cayenne also stands out because there are very few midsize SUVs out there in the market that can say they are faster and have a better driving performance than the 2020 Porsche Cayenne.
- The technological features on the 2020 Porsche Cayenne are also impressive because drivers are able to change transmission and suspension settings depending on the road.
- The 2020 Porsche Cayenne is a bit smaller than other midsize SUVs since it can only seat four people, comfortably.
- The 2020 Porsche Cayenne comes in five different trim levels. The most popular of these trim levels is the SUV AWD and its start off price is $68.150. The 2020 Porsche Cayenne SUV AWD comes equipped with a 3.0 L V6 Turbo engine along with an all-wheel drive.
- The 2020 Porsche Cayenne will give you 21 mpg combined.
6. 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Towing capacity: 3,500 to 7,200 lbs
- Next on our list we have the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
- The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is on this list for many reasons, one of them being its ability to drive in many different conditions. It also has a very beautiful and slick cabin.
- The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee comes in an array of trim levels and engine options. If you are someone that likes your option, then the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a midsize SUV that you might want to take into consideration.
- The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee comes in 13 different trim levels; yes, you read that right…13.
- Out of those 13 different trim levels, the most popular seem to be the Limited 4WD. It is a five-seater that starts off at $43,450. The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD comes equipped with a 3.6 L V7 engine and four-wheel drive.
- The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD will give you 11 mpg city and 17 mpg highway.
7. 2020 Lincoln Aviator
- Towing capacity: 5,600 to 6,700 lbs
- The 2020 Lincoln Aviator is a stylish and luxurious midsize SUV that most people would think about using for towing. However, despite its elegant look, it also delivers in performance and power.
- The 2020 Lincoln Aviator comes equipped with a powerful 3.0 L V6 engine and all-wheel drive if you opt for their most popular trim level: the Reserved AWD.
- The 2020 Lincoln Aviator Reserved AWD starts off at $59,795.
- The 2020 Lincoln Aviator is also known for its array of driver safety aids, so you can feel good getting behind the wheel of this beautiful vehicle.
- 2020 Lincoln Aviator will give you 17 mpg city and 24 mpg highway.
8. 2020 BMW X5
- Towing capacity: 6,603 lbs
- Next on our list is the 2020 BMW X5. The 2020 BMW X5 is for those who want to combine sportiness with utility.
- The original model was introduced to the market back in 2000, with its current fourth-generation just launched in 2019.
- The 2020 BMW X5 comes in three different trim levels and can seat five people, comfortably.
- The most popular of the 2020 BMW X5 trim levels is the xDrive40i. This model starts off at $62,195 and comes equipped with a 3.0 L I6 Turbo engine and all-wheel drive.
- The 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40i will give you 20 mpg city and 26 mpg highway.
9. 2020 Nissan Pathfinder
- Towing capacity: 6,000 lbs
- The 2020 Nissan Pathfinder is one of the more family-friendly midsize SUVs on this list.
- It comes with an additional third row and is available with a four-wheel drive which means it will be a good pick if you like to go off-road.
- The 2020 Nissan Pathfinder comes in four models but it is most popular is the Platinum model.
- The 2020 Nissan Pathfinder also comes in four trim levels with the most popular being the FWD S, which starts off at $33,075. It comes equipped with a 3.5 L V6 engine and front-wheel drive.
- The 2020 Nissan Pathfinder FWD S will give you 20 mpg city and 27 mpg highway.
10.2020 Ford Explorer
- Towing capacity: 5,600 lbs
- The 2020 Ford Explorer is popular among SUV lovers, full size and midsize alike because of its rugged look and raised height.
- Ford launched its six-generation Explorer in 2020. The 2020 Ford Explorer comes in five different trim levels with the most popular begging the ST 4WD. This trim level starts at $55,985 and comes equipped with a 3.0 L V6 Turbo engine and four-wheel drive.
- The 2020 Ford Explorer will give you 18 mpg city and 24 mpg highway.
As you can see, midsize SUVs really are the epitome of not judging a car by its size. Midsize SUVs are compact, reliable, and versatile.
They are great as a family car for those long road trips or they can also be used daily as a transportation car. They are great if you want the power of an SUV with a lower towing capacity and size.
Best of all, when you need them to step up and be the hauler that their bigger counterparts are known for, well they can do that as well.